FIUTS (the Foundation for International Understanding Through Students) is an organization that supports cross-cultural understanding and leadership for UW’s global community, including international and American students. FIUTS depends on the generosity and passion of our volunteers to help accomplish our goals. Volunteering is a great opportunity to learn intercultural leadership skills and make new friends. The time commitment is flexible; facilitators can choose when and how often they facilitate.
As a FIUTS facilitator, you will receive cross-cultural leadership training and gain valuable volunteer experience leading programs and events including International Welcome Weeks in September, when you can help welcome more than 2,400 new students from around the world to the UW and Seattle! Facilitators also have the opportunity to participate in year-round activities such as K-12 education outreach, events and activities, and more.
Volunteer opportunities are open to current UW students – U.S., international, undergrads, grads, scholars and IELP students. Facilitators need to complete a short application and attend one of our regularly scheduled New Facilitator Orientations. Upcoming New Facilitator Orientations are scheduled for July 21, August 9, August 15, and September 7. See the FIUTS calendar for times and locations.
For more information, visit our website at fiuts.org/facilitators, or contact us at 206.543.0735/ email@example.com / HUB 206.
Good luck to all who are interested!
Fueling Manager – Men’s and Women’s Basketball
The University of Washington Sports Nutrition Department is hiring a part time Fueling Manager to begin August 2017. This position is a one-year contract with possibility of renewal. This position will assist with fueling our men’s and women’s basketballs teams and help with day-to-day operations in the sports nutrition department. This is a great opportunity for someone looking to break into the field of sports nutrition and gain valuable experience as a part of an interdisciplinary performance team.
Hours: Part time, approx. 20 hours/week (950 hours per year). If a student, we will try our best to work around class schedules, but please understand that there are specific times we need someone to be here.
Please be aware that you will work non-standard work hours, including possible weekends and holidays. We will do our best to accommodate your schedule, but understand that you will need to be flexible as team schedules may change! Please expect to work occasional home basketball games as well.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Work with assigned sports. Tasks include but are not limited to:
- Make post-practice smoothies for both Men’s and Women’s Basketball (approximately 30 smoothies per day)
- Assist in recipe development for smoothies, incorporating whole-food ingredients
- Assist Fueling Station Manager in ordering and inventory
- Appropriate clean-up and care of our equipment
- Ordering for and stocking both men’s and women’s basketball locker-rooms
- Educational (nutrition) signage in the locker rooms
- Occasionally assist with game days
- Help prepare halftime fueling for both teams
- Assist in fueling station shifts as needed
Expectations and Skills:
- Preferred: an applicant with a strong interest in nutrition, particularly sports nutrition
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and adhere to all department and university policies and procedures, as well as the rules, regulations, bylaws and interpretations of the Pac12 Conference and NCAA.
- Ability to work independently and as an integral member of the performance nutrition team
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced environment while still paying attention to detail
- Possess strong time and priority management skills AND possess effective oral and written communication skills
- Practice safe food handling skills and obtain food handlers permit within 30 days of hire
- Be able to lift, push, pull objects up to 30 lbs.
- Be reliable and dependable and accomplishing assigned tasks
Interested candidates please send your resume and a brief cover letter explaining your interest in the position and how they align with your career goals to Meredith Price at Mprice22@uw.edu
All Focus Group participants receive a $20 gift card to Barnes & Noble
[Category Experiential Learning)