If you are interested in pursuing a Ph.D. after you graduate from the UW, the McNair Scholar’s Program can help you achieve this goal!
The McNair Scholars Program, which prepares students for doctoral study, is a federal TRiO program funded through a grant from the U.S. Department of Education. The McNair Scholars Program offers many benefits. McNair Scholars receive academic and personal support from advisers and mentors, a research stipend to complete an original research project, assistance in applying to graduate schools, funding to travel to research conferences and to visit graduate schools, and resources to help prepare for the GRE, among many other benefits.
The eligibility criteria entails:
(1) Plan to pursue a graduate degree (especially a Ph.D.) after obtaining your bachelor’s degree.
(2) Be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident
(3) Be a low-income student who is ALSO a first generation college student OR a member of a group that is underrepresented in graduate education (African American, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Hispanic/Latino, or Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander)
(4) Currently be enrolled as an undergraduate in a degree program at the UW
(5) Have completed 36 credits by the time of initial entry into the program
(6) Have at least one year remaining before graduation
(7) Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8 for sophomores, 3.0 for juniors, and 3.2 for seniors
We invite you to set up an appointment to come in and meet with us to discuss how the McNair Scholars Program can help you achieve your academic and professional goals. We hope you will consider applying for the program. Applications are due Friday, April 15th by 5pm. The application can be found online: 2016 McNair Application
If you have any questions, please email us at uwmcnair and/or visit our website uwmcnair.