Undergraduate Student Laboratory Assistant Description – Home Air in Agriculture: Pediatric Intervention Trial (HAPI)
Location: Seattle, WA
Hours: 15-19 hours/week starting January 2015
Supervisor and Hiring Manager: Maria Tchong-French, mitchong
The laboratory assistant for the Pacific Northwest Agricultural Safety and Health (PNASH) Center will be working on the project Home Air in Agriculture: Pediatric Intervention Trial (HAPI). The purpose of this project is to reduce exposure to asthma triggers in the homes of children who live in the Yakima Valley, an agriculture area where asthma affects more people than other places. HEPA cleaners will be placed in homes of children with asthma. Indoor and outdoor measurements of dust and ammonia will be collected to test whether the HEPA cleaners are effective in decreasing asthma triggers and symptoms.
The purpose of this position is to assist Asthma Project staff in sample inventory management, lab submission, supply management and supply field preparation.
The position includes the following work activities:
· Prepare materials (filter weighing, assembly of sampling equipment) for data collection
· Manage sample storage and inventory
· Perform laboratory tasks with minimal supervision
· Assist with supply inventory
· Other activities as needed to support field work.
- Laboratory and/or field data collection experience
- Attention to details
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Microsoft office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Conditions of Employment:
The Student Assistant must be in communication Monday-Friday and have regular office hours at the UW Health Sciences Building in F230.
To apply for this position, please send resume and cover letter to Maria Tchong-French at mitchong.